Tailored Solutions - Soybean Systems Management
• Effective management of resources is required to optimize farm operations. In soybean production, decisions
involving seed selection, seeding rate, soil fertility and eliminating or reducing the impact of plant stressors,
effectively determine the productivity and profitability of the farm.
• Historically, soybeans have not been managed as intensively as corn, possibly resulting in sub-optimal yields and
economic losses. Achieving higher yields and profits may require dedication of resources and a new approach to
resource management in soybean production.
• This trial was conducted with the objective of determining the impact of production inputs on grain yield and
ultimately the return on investment (ROI) in soybean production.
Research Site Details
• Nine production systems were compared in a high management system trial in central Iowa.
• A full season, 2.9 maturity group (MG), soybean variety was used for the trial.
• Plots were planted with six rows per treatment, with 30-inch row spacing, and two replications per treatment.
• Trial details are indicated in Table 1.
Understanding the Results
• In general, average yields increased as more inputs were added to the system except in System 6 where the
inclusion of nitrogen negatively impacted yield.
• In this trial, micronutrients zinc and sulfur (System 4 and System 5) improved yield as compared to System 1.
• ILeVO® seed treatment improved average yield by as much as 3 bu/acre (System 2 vs. System 1).
• Average yields were slightly better at 110K seeds/acre than at 140K seeds/acre (System 3 vs. System 1; System
8 vs. System 9).
• Foliar fungicide and insecticide applications improved average yields by as much as 5 bu/acre (System 7 vs.
• System 3 was the most economically profitable management program for this trial.
• Except for nitrogen, the inputs used had a positive impact on soybean yield. However, the high input systems
were not the most economically viable practices because the extra yield gained were not enough to offset their
respective production costs.
• At the geographical region of the trial location (central Iowa), System 1 is considered the grower standard (the
most common practice). Thus, apart from System 6 and System 9, all the other systems produced a positive
• Crop yield response to production inputs can be highly variable, often impacted by the environmental conditions
during the growing season. Farmers are therefore advised to consult their trusted crop advisors when making
The information discussed in this report is from a single site, replicated demonstration. This informational piece is designed to report the results of this demonstration and is not
intended to infer any confirmed trends. Please use this information accordingly.
ALWAYS READ AND FOLLOW PESTICIDE LABEL DIRECTIONS. Performance may vary, from location to location and from year to year, as local growing, soil and weather conditions
may vary. Growers should evaluate data from multiple locations and years whenever possible and should consider the impacts of these conditions on the grower’s fields.
Leverage® 360 is a restricted use pesticide. Not all products are registered in all states and may be subject to use restrictions. The distribution, sale, or use of an unregistered
pesticide is a violation of federal and/or state law and is strictly prohibited. Check with your local dealer or representative for the product registration status in your state. Tank
mixtures: The applicable labeling for each product must be in the possession of the user at the time of application. Follow applicable use instructions, including application
rates, precautions and restrictions of each product used in the tank mixture. Not all tank mix product formulations have been tested for compatibility or performance other
than specifically listed by brand name. Always predetermine the compatibility of tank mixtures by mixing small proportional quantities in advance. Delaro® and Leverage®
are registered trademarks of Bayer Group. ILeVO® is a trademark of BASF Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners. For additional product
information call toll-free 1-866-99-BAYER (1-866-992-2937) or visit our website at www.BayerCropScience.us. Bayer CropScience LP, 800 North Lindbergh Boulevard, St. Louis,
MO 63167. ©2020 Bayer Group. All rights reserved. 1018_R1_20